The matrices for Elysian Title were found (circa 1984) in a cigar-box cache stored in the garage of a retired ATF employee (Virginia Forester, one-time matrix vault supervisor). In this same cache was the complete suite of 16 pt Goudy Original Village; incomplete portions of 14 pt Goudy Sherman; and the 24 pt Goudy Original Village (caps only). The story was they had lain around Buckley’s office for decades, their owners and purpose forgotten. During a matrix department clean up and inventory, they were deemed junk, but Virginia did not want them thrown away, and so took them home.
The only evidence to help identify the design, was the packing paper wrapper that was inscribed with the word ‘Butterick.’ There is a sewing craft company of this name with origins in 19th century that may have contemplated publishing a catalog or work book, and so commissioned a design from the BB&S foundry in Chicago. Examination of the matrices reveals that they are cut in the same alloy nickel brass as was used for the Goudy Village, they are struck with the same identifying punches, and they exhibit the same details of engraving consistent with the work of Robert Weibking in this period (1900–1910).